It's summer once again. It's the season wherein we are wearing shorts, sleeveless shirts etc. It's also the season wherein we are going to the beach or to take a vacation in other places. In terms of foods, it's the time that we have to eat more fruits and vegetables. In the Philippines, if it's summer, it's the time that we are preparing halo halo to feel fresh.
If you want to make halo halo this summer, here are the ingredients:
1 ripe large banana
2 ripe mangoes or 1 cup canned ripe mango
1 cup firm gelatin set into gel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup canned ripe jackfruit
1/2 cup sweet corn or chick peas (garbanzos)
i cup young shredded coconut, fresh or canned
1 cup cooked sweet yams or (ube halaya) glutinous purple yam, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cup shaved ice
2 cup milk
4 scoops of favorite ice cream
1/2 cup chopped peanuts or rice krispies
1. Peel the mangoes and slice it into 1/2 inch cubes. Discard the seeds.
2. Prepare 4 tall glasses. Divide each ingredients into 4 equal parts.
3. In each glass place 1/4 of each ingredients, adding layer by layer starting with corn or chick peas, cooked sweet yams, jackfruit, bananas, coconut and gelatin.
4. Top with 1/2 cup shaved ice.
5. Pour 1/4 cup milk over shaved ice and top with a scoop of ice cream.
6. Sprinkle nuts or rice krispies over it.
* If you want, you can add sugar.